In this 5-week course, you’ll learn the fundamentals, principles, techniques, and skills of the Greg Dean Method of stand-up comedy to build a routine.
- No prerequisites
- 5-week course
- Learn in person with Greg Dean at the Santa Monica Playhouse
- Learn live over Zoom (remote) with Gayla Johnson
Greg has broken down all the techniques and fundamentals into a comprehensive system that anybody can learn and use to improve their stand up comedy. When you know those fundamentals, you can do so much more with your stand-up comedy routine easily, naturally, and quickly.
You’re not taught what “funny” is or is not based upon the instructor’s opinion. You’re taught skills so that you can craft “your funny” your way!
People of all experience levels start with this course and move onto the Level 2 course upon completion.
What you’ll learn
- Greg Dean’s Joke Structure
- Writing “One Liners”
- Five Methods of Generating Material for Jokes and Stories
- Fundamentals of Storytelling
- Overcoming Stage Fright
- Performing with Confidence
Two ways to learn
- In-person – Greg Dean teaches at the Santa Monica Playhouse on Tuesday nights from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm PST.
- Zoom – Gayla Johnson teaches over Zoom on Thursday afternoon from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm PST. Zoom links and documentation will be sent to you prior to your first class. Please look for this email from us 1 to 3 days before your class starts.
The Professor of Stand Up Comedy
Greg Dean, the Professor of Stand-Up Comedy, is the author of the international bestseller, Step-by-Step to Stand Up Comedy. It’s now sold in six different languages. Creator of the original Joke Structure technique. Greg Dean has been teaching stand up comedy for over 40 years and is a true innovator in the field of stand-up comedy education, having launched the first stand-up comedy school in the world.
Certified Greg Dean Instructor
Gayla Johnson is a well-known talented actress and Stand-up Comedian, appearing on Comedy Central, Comics Unleashed, and Showtime Special, “Fierce Funny Women, Headlining at the comedy store Improv, Ice House Comedy Club and Laugh Factory. She toured London and Montreal comedy clubs. She’s also toured many west coast comedy clubs, such as Laugh Out Loud, Rooster T. Feathers, Laughs Unlimited, and Santa Barbara Comedy Club.