Level 2: Writing a Show & Performing at the Improv
In Person at the Santa Monica Playhouse -1211 4th St. Santa Monica, CA 90401
Level 2: Writing a Show & Performing at the Improv
In Person at the Santa Monica Playhouse
1211 4th St. Santa Monica, CA 90401
You must have minimally completed Greg Dean’s Stand Up Comedy Class: Level 1: How to Build a Stand Up Comedy Routine.
Now that you’ve completed your level 1 Class, you’re ready to take your skills to the next level! For the first five weeks, you’ll work on your stand up comedy joke writing and performing skills. Work out the bugs, manage and master stage fright. Learn how to read the audience and work with them to get every last laugh you can! Get feedback from fellow comedians, and get personal one-on-one time with Greg or Gayla!
You’ll Build These Skills
- Writing Jokes, Tags, and Punching Up Your Routine
- Editing, Cutting, Rewriting Jokes
- Adding Funny Stories to your Routines
- Adding Jokes to Your Funny Stories
- Defining & Mastering a joke premise
- Pulling the Audience into Your Comedy “Movie”
- Being Yourself on Stage
- Reading & Interacting with the Audience in Front of You
- Tags & Tag timing
- What to Do When You Go Blank
- and so much more!
Greg Dean, the Professor of Stand Up Comedy. Author of the international bestseller, Step-by-Step to Stand Up Comedy, now sold in six different languages. Creator of the original Joke Structure technique. Greg Dean has been teaching stand up comedy for over 40 years and is a true innovator in the field of stand-up comedy education, having launched the first stand up comedy school in the world.
Gayla Johnson is a talented actress and Stand-up Comedian, appearing on Comedy Central, Comics Unleashed, and Showtime Special, “Fierce Funny Women, Headlining at Comedy Store Improv, Ice House Comedy Club and Laugh Factory Club. She toured London and Montreal comedy clubs. She also has toured many West Coast Comedy Clubs, such as Laugh Out Loud, Rooster T. Feathers, Laughs Unlimited, and Santa Barbara Comedy Club.
The Hollywood Improv will sell tickets to the show and each student is expected to bring 3 or more paying guests. The Improv reserves the right to cancel the show if ticket sales are not in sufficient quantity to cover the costs of the venue.
The Student Showcase (online performance with Gayla Johnson) will also require tickets, and students are expected to get paying guests to the performance.
We Teach Two Classes
- Greg Dean teaches in person at the Santa Monica Playhouse.
- Gayla Johnson teaches Live over Zoom.
Greg’s Level 2: Writing a Show & Performing at the Improv” 6-week class meets every Wednesday night. This is a six-week class where you’ll focus on developing a stand up comedy performance.
Class Schedule & Location Greg Dean
- Weeks 1 – 5: In Person at the Santa Monica Playhouse – 1211 4th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401 Wednesday Night from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm Pacific Time
- Week 6 In Person at the Hollywood Improv – 8162 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90046 Performance at the Improv July 30, 2023 Students arrive at 2:30, Doors open at 3:00 pm, Showcase is 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
- Link to purchase tickets at the Improv: https://www.ticketweb.com/event/next-generation-comedy-hollywood-improv-the-lab-tickets/13417788?pl=hollyimprov
$349.00 when you pay in full or use our payment plan and make 4 weekly payments at 99 a week. Choose an Option below.
Gayla’s ” Level 2: Writing a Show & Performing Online” meets every Monday from 4 pm to 7 pm live over Zoom. This is a six-week class where you’ll focus on developing a stand up comedy performance.
Class Schedule & Location Gayla
- Weeks 1 – 5: In Person over Zoom every Monday afternoon from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm Pacific Time
- Week 6 Live performance over zoom – schedule to be announced.
Your zoom links for your classes will be sent to you along with your class documents prior to your class. Please look for this email from us 1 to 3 days before your class starts.
$349.00 when you pay in full or use our payment plan and make 4 weekly payments at 99 a week. Choose an option below.
Great Performances Are Developed, Refined & Practiced
Instead of going off to “work out a few bugs at open mics, get in with a group of comedians who care about what you care about: creating a great performance. Let’s face it, good feedback rarely comes from an Open Mic performance unless you killed it! So join Greg and the rest of the group every Wednesday night at the Santa Monica Playhouse and make your performance shine!
FAQ Stand Up Comedy Level 2 Classes in Santa Monica and Online
(Frequently Asked Questions)
Additional Registration Documents & Zoom Links
You will receive 2 to 3 days before your group start date a packet of documents from Docusign. Please sign these documents before your first writing group. Once we receive the documents, a second email will be sent to you that gives the essential information you need to arrive at the group session. Your zoom link will be in this email.
The Building Routines Basic class is the prerequisite. Greg Dean’s method is taught in that basic class and is required information to work on your peformance in this ongoing group.
No matter how advanced of a comedian a person may be, they’ll need the information taught in the Building Routines class because everything that you’ll do with your script depends on knowing those fundamental principles.
Our instructors provide important class information via a special slack channel for the class you signed up for. Just prior to your class start date, you will receive an invitation to slack if you are not already a member of our slack community. Please accept the invitation and download the app. Slack works on desktops, laptops or mobile devices. If you have any trouble, reach out to [email protected].
The Best Training You’ll Ever Get
Learn from the Professor of Stand Up Comedy – He’s got 40 years in the trenches teaching students how to maximize their “funny!”
Why Learn with Us?
Greg Dean is The Original Stand Up Comedy Teacher
He was the first to codify, formulate, and develop techniques that could be used to create humor across cultures and languages.
Over 10,000 Graduates
Thousands have graduated the Greg Dean Method and moved on to have very successful careers.
Multiple Training Mediums - Multiple Class Times
In person classes, live zoom classes, ongoing groups, workshops, on demand classes
Certified Greg Dean Instructors
Greg Dean’s Instructors are all certified by Greg Dean himself.
Greg Dean Is Your Best Choice for a Stand Up Comedy Instructor
- ONLY GREG DEAN has been directly involved in the careers of the comedians he names.
- ONLY GREG DEAN has been teaching comedy for over 40 years with a unique, proven technique.
- ONLY GREG DEAN has written the definitive text on stand-up, used by comics throughout the world.
- You will never get an opinion of what we think is funny. You will only be taught real techniques and fundamentals so that you can develop your own “funny”!